Each shoebox is filled by Canadians with hygiene items, school supplies, toys, and candy, and is given to children regardless of gender, race, or religion. When culturally appropriate, copies of a book entitled The Greatest Gift, which has been translated into 130 different languages, are offered to children after the shoeboxes have already been distributed.
To date, Operation Christmas Child has collected and distributed over 100 million shoebox gifts worldwide. In 2013, Canadians donated more than 664,000 Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes for children around the world.
Regina drop off locations (call ahead for hours):
4532 Albert St
6839 Rochdale Blvd
188 University Park Dr
Contact: Maureen Gustafson
Phone Number: 306-565-1977
Hillsdale Baptist Church
101 Munroe Pl
Contact: Misty McGillivray
Phone Number: 306-586-2009
489 Albert St N
Contact: Carlee Bard
Phone Number: 306-543-6868
Rosewood Park Alliance Church
Courtney St & Whelan Dr
Contact: Jaci Brown
Phone Number: 306-543-8233
Mr Mikes Steakhouse
4651 Gordon Rd
Contact: Mark Gray
Phone Number: 306-352-6453
Regina Qu'Appelle Health Region - Emergency Medical Services
1350 Albert St
Contact: Ken Luciak
Phone Number: 306-766-6254
How to pack a shoebox:
1. SELECT A SHOEBOX
- Use a regular-sized shoe box or shoebox-sized plastic box. If wrapping your shoebox, please wrap the lid separately.
2. BOY OR GIRL?
- Determine whether your gift will be for a boy or a girl, and the child's age category: 2-4, 5-9, or 10-14.
3. FILL YOUR SHOEBOX
- Fill your shoebox with a well-balanced variety of items from the following categories:
- School Supplies - Items such as pens, pencils, pencil crayons, note pads, and picture books
- Hygiene Items - Items such as: facecloth, toothbrush, comb, and soap. Please place soap in a sealable bag
- Toys & Other Gifts - Items such as: stuffed animals, small musical instruments, hair clips, toy jewelry, t-shirts, socks, and candy (loose, individually wrapped hard candy in a sealable bag)
- Personal Note - Include a personal note and/or a photo in your shoebox (not inside the donation envelope)
DO NOT INCLUDE:
- Decks of standard playing cards (other card games such as UNO are allowed)
- Food and any chewy, crumbly, or soft candy: Including gum (due to customs regulations)
- Used items (due to customs regulations)
- Toothpaste (due to customs regulations)
- Liquids or items that could leak, melt, freeze, or break - Shampoo, creams, lip balm, bath gels, mirrors, or glass, etc. (these can damage other items in the shoebox).
- Items that can scare or harm a child - War-related toys, knives, and toy guns, etc.
- Using a backpack instead of a shoe box is problematic because it creates unfair circumstances at distribution events. Backpacks can also cause problems when cartons are being packed, and when shipments are going through Customs.
Click to open a page of shoebox labels.
4. MAKE YOUR MINIMUM $7 DONATION
Please donate a minimum of $7 for each shoebox you prepare to help cover project costs--including shipping. Please make one combined donation for multiple shoeboxes.
- Simply make your donation online or place your cheque or cash donation in an envelope inside your shoebox, on top of the items. If you make an online donation, you do not need to include the donation receipt in the shoebox. Tax-deductible receipts will be issued for donations of $15 or more.
5. DROP OFF YOUR SHOEBOXES
Pack a shoebox online, click here to find out how.